The Best of Southern Spain
I fell in love with Southern Spain (Andalucía), during my recent trip. Not only are the sites and scenery spectacular, but the people of this region are warm, friendly, and super fun.
Andalucía is a vibrant and culturally rich region. The land of flamenco, lively festivals, and stunning landscapes. Your days are filled with wandering the narrow, winding streets of its charming towns, savoring the exquisite local foods and wine, and taking in the stunning views.
Exploring the historic cities of Sevilla, Cordoba, Malaga, Marbella, and Granada is magical, each has its unique charm. These cities are known for their stunning architecture, including Moorish palaces, Gothic cathedrals, and charming old quarters.
I want to share the magic of Andalucía with you. Below is the best of Southern Spain in 10 key highlights...
1. Alhambra Palace: Visit the Alhambra Palace in Granada, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. This magnificent palace complex showcases exquisite Islamic architecture and beautiful gardens. The views here are stunning.
2. Flamenco Shows: Experience the passion of Flamenco dancing, which originated in Andalucía. You can watch a live performance in many venues throughout the region.
3. Beaches: Relax on the beautiful Mediterranean beaches of Costa del Sol. Enjoy sunbathing, water sports, and fresh seafood at the beachside chiringuitos (beach bars).
4. Cuisine: Savor the delicious tapas culture. A tapas tour is a great way to learn about and try local dishes. Spain is the top producer of olive oil in the world. Meeting a local producer, learning about the production process, and enjoying lunch prepared by his wife is an experience I highly recommend.
5. Sierra Nevada: If you visit in winter, enjoy skiing and snowboarding in the Sierra Nevada mountains. In the warmer months, you can go hiking and mountain biking.
6. Whitewashed Villages: Explore the picturesque, whitewashed villages (pueblos blancos) of Andalucía, such as Ronda and Zahara de la Sierra, perched on hillsides with stunning views.
7. Gardens: Wander through beautiful gardens like the Alcazar of Sevilla's gardens and the Generalife Gardens in Granada, both filled with lush greenery, fountains, and vibrant flowers.
8. Wine Tasting: Visit local wineries and indulge in wine tastings. Andalucía is known for its sherry (grapes for sherry are only grown in Jerez – a city in Andalucía), as well as red and white wines. You will be surprised to learn about the different types of sherry produced – from very sweet to very dry.
9. Architecture: Admire the stunning architecture of the Mezquita-Cathedral in Cordoba, the Giralda Tower in Sevilla, and the bullrings that play a significant role in Spanish culture.
10. Horse Shows: Attend a traditional Andalucían horse show to see the skillful equestrian performances of horses and riders.
Southern Spain offers a rich blend of history, culture, natural beauty, and culinary delights, making it a fantastic destination for a diverse and memorable experience. Whether you are interested in history, relaxation, or gastronomy, Andalucía has something to offer every type of traveler.
At Distinct Vacations we partner with in-country travel suppliers allowing us to offer out-of-the-ordinary, non-Googleable, local experiences with premium service throughout your vacation.
Don’t want to miss any of our Blogs? You can receive them in your Inbox! Sign-up here.